Monday, January 08, 2007

I'm still here

I just haven't had much time to myself lately. Dot is four months old and still waking up 3 times a night. Googie has finally hit the terrible twos, and that has it's own set of challenges as you all know. I swear I can't turn my back on her for two seconds! We're looking into buying our first house, and figuring that out takes up any spare time I really have.

Just to catch you up on a couple things:

  • Dot has acid reflux/heart burn and is on Zantac (this has really helped with the crying)
  • Dot has decided not to sleep through the night anymore
  • Googie's hair loss was not caused by lymphoma, leukemia, hyper/hypothyroidism, diabetes, celiacs disease, or any other potentially fatal disease. We're waiting on the test results on a possible dietary deficiency. So far that has all been good news. (I don't know that I ever wrote about this . . . anyway she lost most of her hair on the front/top of her head and my previous doctor dismissed it as stress. My new pediatrician was appalled that the previous doctor didn't run the appropriate tests, so Googie had a bunch of blood work done.)
  • Googie's constipation may or may not be caused by milk. The new doctor says that since no milk diet is working to keep it up, but he wants an actual diagnosis from an allergist. So were going to see them in the next month or so.

Those were the big discoveries that we made. Everything else has just basically been ho-hum everyday life. Excitement here and there. But too much to write about here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

There are times that I just send the tantrum throwing Googie to her room, (for her own safety, and my sanity), but then there are times that she just couldn't be any cuter. Like last night . . .

As I was getting ready to make dinner she comes into the kitchen and says "I nee a hel(p) momma." So I got out an empty bowl and spoon for her. She stirred it for about a minute and then, exasperated, she tells me "Momma, I nee a hel(p) momma!" She wanted to do something that would actually help, so I let her stir the sauce I was making, but when that was done, everything else was too hot for her to help with. So I had her set the table. One plate, one fork, one glass at a time. I would say to her "Here, this one's mommy's fork." "Here's Daddy's glass go put it on the table." And she did. Then when dinner was all ready and we all went to sit down at the table apparently we all sat in the wrong spots. She told us "No Dada, tas Momma's" "Momma, sit, sit, ere." Once we were seated properly she went and took her seat like the queen she is. Then, excited to be in charge she told us to be "quie" and that it was time for a "rayer." We said our prayer, and as soon as we were done she said "ea(t) Momma, ea(t) Dada." We both were trying so hard not to laugh.

She ate more for dinner last night then I have ever seen her eat, and I think it was because she was involved in the whole process. This is something that I am definitely going to encourage. If she wants to help around the house who am I to say no?

Dot on the other hand . . . Well she's adorable during the days. But she is killing me, slowly killing me at night. She's up at least three times a night, and since the girls share a room, Googie is getting up once or twice a night now too. Last night I was up 6 times. SIX! I really don't see the point of even going to sleep sometimes. Dot's four months old now and I think I should at least be getting a couple of full nights of sleep a week. She did it for a couple nights there before we moved, but ever since then it's like yeah right mom. Googie was 3 weeks old when she started sleeping through the night. I just don't know what to do.

I would let Dot cry for 20 minutes, or more, when she wakes up at night, if the girls weren't sharing a room. But I can't have them both awake; and as it is, if Googie wakes up she thinks it's time to get up. I just don't know what to do. I can't wait until we can get into a house and they'll have their own rooms. I wish I could change this pattern but I just don't know how to do it. Any suggestions (and I mean any!) would be appreciated. I am truly at a loss.

So that's my life lately. I'm tired all the time, and busy with Googie, or Dot, or both, the rest. They just never leave me alone! Even now, Googie is playing at my feet and giving me bites of whatever she's concocting in her pots. Kids. Yeah. What more can I say? I can't wait until they grow up. (I know, I know "treasure these moments, they grow up too fast" blah blah blah.) I'm just tired of Toddlers and babies. Actually basically I'm just tired. Okay, now I'm just babbling. I'll stop now. Maybe if I turn on a movie, Googie will let me nap. But probably not. It's no fun to watch a movie by yourself.

3 comments:

Curves Mom said...

We are also in the process of buying our first home, and dealing with the cramped quarters of a 2 bedroom apartment. Our 6 month old still isn't sleeping through the night, and she still wakes up her 2 year old sister! The baby got her first two teeth over the last two weeks, which is starting to help her sleep a little better I think. Although, now big sister is starting to yell out in her sleep! It's a vicious cycle! the wiz has a great idea. hope it works if you try it!
we also starting feeding the baby more during feedings. i think that seems to help.
good luck!

tracy m said...

Everything Wiz said. Including that I had been worried about you!

Trivial Mom said...

Oh, thanks guys. That's really touching you we're worried about me. I honestly didn't think anyone would even notice. I promise I'll stop by more often.

And thanks Wiz for the suggestions. I don't know what we'll be able to make work in our cramped apartment. But it's good to hear something worked for you.