Tuesday, January 09, 2007

"That Mom"

You know at a party you always have "That Guy"? The goof ball that is just always out of control? Or had way to much to drink. The one that everyone remembers? Well that was me today at the store. Only I was "That Mom."

I was the one pushing the huge three-seater shopping cart.
I was the one dragging around the screaming toddler.
I was the one shopping as if nothing was wrong.
I was the one taking my dear sweet time.
I was the one ignoring the screaming toddler.
I was the one forcing a smile at everyone I passed.
I was the one putting the screaming toddler back in the cart every time she climbed out.
I was the one talking to my baby over the screaming toddler.
I was the one refusing to buy candy, which caused more screaming.
I was the one being glared at by the "I don't have kids" and the "My kids never did that" club.
I was the one trying not to give into the screaming toddler.
I was the one leaving the store feeling like I needed to scream.
I was the one eating the Oreo's on the way home.

I was that mom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, so that was you?

LOL. I know how you feel been "that mom" so many times!

I just love the stares you get when this happens. You can't discipline your kids in public because you will be stared at or even accused of something and you can't NOT do anything because then you still get that stare.

tracy m said...

mmmmmmm... Oh, how many times have I been She, too...?

Heather O. said...

I was in the fabric store yesterday, and heard "that mom" about 2 aisles over. I sighed a sigh of relief that it wasn't my kid, and then "that mom" rounded the corner. It was a friend of mine, and she looked relieved to see me. She asked if I could watch her kids while she ran to the other side of the store to check out some ribbing, or something. I happily agreed, trying to entertain her toddlers, thinking that a) they knew me, so they'd be good, and b) a new face always tends to make kids behave better.

As soon as she left, her 3 year old starting screaming his head off, and her 1 year old starting kicking at me from the cart. I literally had to step away from the cart so he wouldn't hurt me. She heard the mayhem, and came hurrying back. They stopped once they saw mom, and her 3 year old clung to her like she'd been gone for a year. After trying to deal with her cranky, worn out kids myself, I figured she was actually doing a pretty good job!

Whenever it's me, I just pray that all the other people in the store have children, too.