Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Poor Baby

I'm sure every man is different, and some can deal better than others . . . but every time my husband gets sick I suddenly have 3 babies to take care of.


I mentioned in a previous post about my DH's work as an auditor. It's busy season right now and he literally cannot miss a day. He felt like he was coming down with something this morning, and then by lunch I'm pretty sure he was running a fever. But he still didn't get home tonight until 8:15 and he has to be at work tomorrow by 8:00. He really doesn't have a choice in the matter. Right now he is laying in bed with at least a 102 degree temperature. We didn't take it, but when he's freezing under my wonderful heavy down comforter and asks for a second blanket you know it's for real.

Back to the point of this post. He is the biggest baby around me when he's sick. He worked the entire day today with out complaining to the manager once. They walked to dinner. He drove himself home, and had a nice long conversation with his brother. But from the moment he walked through the door all I heard was "Hunny I don't feel good, could you _____________?" Get me some Tylenol, a drink, some soup, another blanket, rub my back, quiet down the baby . . . the list goes on. The only other thing I heard all night was "I feel like crap. (list symptoms here because heaven knows I didn't hear him the last 20 times, and I've never had the flu, nor taken care of an 18 month old while having said flu. I couldn't possibly understand the severity of the symptoms.)"

It was really cute the first couple of times he did it, when we were newly married and didn't have kids. He is a very independent person and I liked to feel needed. I guess I set a precedent those first few times. So it's partly my fault.

I do have to cut him some slack though. He has a very demanding job this time of year, and it's not like he stayed at work because he wanted too. And if he doesn't complain to me who else is he going to? He needs some place to vent.

I guess what I would really like is reciprocal treatment. When I'm sick, I'd like someone to take care of me, or at least the kids. I'd like a certain some one to listen to my whining and say things like "I know you feel like crap, go to bed" or "It'll be better tomorrow" or "What can I get for you? Would you like another pillow, or blanket?" Anything is better than, "it can't be that bad. Get up and move around it helps."

DH is sick. Googie was cranky tonight. And Dot's still not asleep. Man, am I a lucky momma or what?

**Just on a side note. I have talked with DH about this. He knows that he's not very sympathetic when I'm sick. I bring it up every time he gets sick. So I'm not sharing any feelings he doesn't already know I have.**

1 comment:

Trivial Mom said...

Okay, that just makes me laugh. I thought about making some dumb joke about how to avoid marrying a man, but it just didn't come out right when I typed it . . .

It seems like there are a lot of personality traits that just come attached to the Y chromosome.