Wednesday, February 07, 2007

It's Begun

Five months after Dot was born, and I still look four months pregnant. I've had enough. It's time to start losing the weight. Time to stop eating everything I want, and time to start getting up early to exercise. The year of the Diet has begun.
Well, actually I'm hoping it doesn't really take a year. I've set up my own weight loss program because I'm too cheap to pay someone to tell me how to eat. In the process of coming up with the perfect diet for me, I did plenty of research. I read a ton of articles online. Found guidelines for being able to breastfeed and lose weight. I've set my goals. I can do this! And guess what. In the first two days I lost 5lbs (well, the first weight was at night, because I figure I might as well start at my heaviest, and the second was first thing in the morning at my lightest. But it's still 5lbs, and it's motivating!)

I call my plan 100 days to skinny me. I have 30lbs to lose so I figure that's a measly 3lbs every ten days. Very do-able.

My diet plan is mostly just counting calories, along with following the recommended nutrition guide. I plan on using about 400cal at each of 3 meals, and 150cal at each of 3 snacks. Which leaves me with a total of about 1600 planned calories. Now I know that's less then the recommended calories to support breastfeeding, but you have to realize those are planned. I'm sure I will add at least another 2-300 somewhere in the day, between juice, "tasting", and sharing fruit snacks with Googie, I'm sure I'm getting plenty.

I'm also keeping a food journal which is helping me realize how much I really ate before. And yes, the first few days I have been hungry, a lot. But it's just my stomach asking for what it's used too. I have to condition my stomach to only want what it needs, and to not eat out of boredom. This is a life style change for me, not just a diet. But I'm hoping once I become accustomed to the right amount of food I won't have to keep a food journal, or count calories as much anymore.

The second part of my plan is a workout program. Now I have been going to the gym three days a week since Dot was 3 months old. But I've had to take the girls with me which equals distractions, which equals interruptions, and not a very good work out.

The new plan involves getting up at 6:15AM Tuesdays and Thursdays to have a child free aerobic work out before DH leaves for work. Saturdays are also aerobic, but I get to sleep in and not head to the gym until 8 or 9. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are AB days; where I do an ab work out tape in my living room, and Googie helps. Not to hard, or time consuming, which means I will stick to it.

And that's it. By May 15th (100 days) I should be back into my skinny jeans!

Wish me Luck!

1 comment:

Trivial Mom said...

That's how my mom was too. As long as she was nursing she could eat whatever she wanted and still lose weight.

With Googie I found that I couldn't lose the last 15lbs until I stopped nursing. My body was holding on to the extra fat. Now maybe it's because like you said, I was cutting way down on my fat intake and, my "body [was holding] on to the fat it currently has for dear life." But I've always thought I just couldn't lose all the weight because I was nursing. So I guess we'll see this time. I really don't want to stop nursing. It's so much cheaper than formula :)